CURRENT AFFAIRS – 07 SEP 2018
01. Army goes in for SpyLite mini-UAV
- The Army has selected SpyLite mini-UAV for high-altitude aerial surveillance.
- The mini-UAV is built by Cyient Solutions & Systems (CSS), a joint venture between Cyient Ltd of India and BlueBird Aero Systems of Israel.
- SpyLite has an endurance of 4-5 hours and a maximum flight ceiling of 30,000 feet making it ideal for operations along the border with China as well as on the Siachen glacier.
02. India, Bulgaria signed various agreements
- India and Bulgaria signed agreements in an effort to strengthen the bilateral relationship between the two countries.
- Agreements on cooperation in tourism, civil nuclear cooperation, the establishment of Hindi chair at the Sofia University and cooperation in science and technology were signed.
- President Kovind is on a state visit to Cyprus, Bulgaria and the Czech Republic.
03. Dr Singh elected as Regional Director WHO
- Dr Poonam Khetrapal Singh was unanimously re-elected as Regional Director WHO South-East Asia for another five-year term beginning February 2019.
- The elections were held at the ongoing regional committee meeting of WHO South-East Asia.
- Dr Singh is the first woman to have been elected to the position of Regional Director for WHO South-East Asia Region.
04. First ever mid-air refuelling of ‘Tejas’
- The Indian Air Force has successfully carried out the first ever mid-air refuelling of the indigenously developed Tejas light combat aircraft.
- A Russian built tanker ‘IL-78 MKI’ was launched from IAF’s base in Agra to refuel Tejas launched from Gwalior.
- IAF had ordered 40 Tejas Mark-1 version and a request for proposal (RFP) was issued to HAL for procurement of another batch of 83 Tejas.
05. Bhagwati Kumar Sharma passed away in Surat
- Noted Gujarati author, journalist and poet Bhagwati Kumar Sharma passed away in Surat.
- Born in 1934 in Surat, Shri Bhagwati Kumar Sharma had received Sahitya Academy award for his Gujarati novel Ashuryalok.
- He was also honoured by Gujarat Gaurav award, Sahitya Ratna award and Vali Gujarati Ghazal Puraskar.
06. SBI Mutual Fund appoints Ashwani as CEO
- SBI Mutual Fund has appointed Ashwani Bhatia as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer.
- Bhatia takes over from Anuradha Rao after she returned to State Bank of India (SBI) as Deputy Managing Director.
- SBI Mutual Fund is a joint venture between the State Bank of India and Amundi, a European asset management company.
07. Qatar offers permanent resident status
- Qatar has decided to grant permanent resident status to a select band of expatriates.
- The government has identified certain categories of people for eligibility to obtain the proposed permanent resident card.
- The card will allow the permanent residents to buy houses and properties as well and entitle them to several privileges.
- Qatar has the highest per capita income in the world.
08. Saurabh won gold medal in Shooting
- Saurabh Chaudhary won gold medal in 10m Air Pistol shooting at the ISSF Shooting World Championship in South Korea on 6th September, 2018.
- Saurabh Chaudhary has won gold medal in shooting at Asian Games 2018.
- Arjun Singh Cheema claimed bronze medal in the same event while Korea’s Hojin Lim clinched silver medal.
09. SC approves scheme for rape survivors
Supreme Court has approved that a rape survivor will get a mandatory minimum compensation of Rs 4 lakh and Rs 5 lakh in case of gang rape.
This will be implemented from October 2 in accordance with a scheme framed by the ‘National Legal Services Authority (NALSA)’.
At present grant to rape survivors varies from Rs 10,000 in Odisha to Rs 10 lakh in Goa.
10. India ranks 19th in ‘Theft Ranking’
- India stands 19th in the ‘Theft Ranking’ for countries with weapons-usable nuclear materials, according to the Nuclear Security Index.
- The index was released by the US-based Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI), which is co-chaired by Sam Nunn and Ernest Moni.
- Australia and Switzerland share the top spot among the 22 countries with weapons-usable nuclear materials.
11. Govt approved continuation of IDWH scheme
- The government has approved the continuation of the centrally-sponsored umbrella scheme of Integrated Development of Wildlife Habitats (CSS-IDWH) till 2019-20.
- The main aim of this scheme is to boost tiger and elephant conservation efforts.
- The scheme consists of centrally sponsored schemes of Project Tiger (CSS-PT), Development of Wildlife Habitats (CSS-DWH) and Project Elephant (CSS-PE).
12. BEL got contract for surface-to-air missiles
- Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) has bagged an order worth Rs 9,200 crore for supply of Seven Long Range Surface-to-Air Missile (LRSAM) systems.
- BEL has entered into a contract with Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL) and Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) to supply LRSAM systems.
- The LRSAM will be fitted onboard seven ships to be built by these two shipbuilders.
13. Book on Mahatma Gandhi’s ‘Nai Talim’ launched
- A book on experiential learning based on Mahatma Gandhi’s ‘Nai Talim’ (basic education) was released by HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar.
- It contains basic principles of Gandhi’s ‘Nai Talim’, along with the work and education curriculum for schools.
- It has been brought out simultaneously in 13 languages in consultation with the state councils of educational research and training.
14. Govt makes PMJDY open-ended scheme
- The government decided to make the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) an open-ended scheme, meaning that it will continue indefinitely.
- The PMJDY was launched in August 2014 for a period of four years as a national mission for financial inclusion.
- The government has decided to double the overdraft facility from Rs 5,000 to Rs 10,000.
15. NGT forms monitoring committee
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has formed a monitoring committee to prepare a time-bound action plan on groundwater recharge in Delhi.
- The committee will be headed by Justice (retd) S P Garg.
- The committee will comprise one representative each from the Delhi Jal Board, Central Pollution Control Board, Central Ground Water Authority and Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) concerned.
16. Supreme Court decriminalises homosexuality
- A five-judge Constitutional bench of the Supreme Court legalised same-sex relations between consenting adults.
- Same-sex relations is considered taboo by many in socially conservative India and was reinstated as a criminal offence in 2013.
- Section 377 criminalised sexual activities “against the order of nature”, including homosexual activities.
17. Tourism Ministry gave funds to Kerala
- Ministry of Tourism sanctioned Malanad Malabar Cruise Tourism Project under Swadesh Darshan Scheme for development of a rural circuit in Kerala.
- Under this project, the Tourism Ministry will be developing three cruises.
- The project will be focusing on the development of water-based thematic cruise experiences in and around Valapattanam and Kuppam Rivers of Kannur District.
18. India, US held inaugural edition of 2+2 talks
- India and the US on 6th September 2018, held the first edition of the 2+2 talks in New Delhi.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman held the talks with US Secretary of State Michael R Pompeo and Defence Secretary James Mattis.
- The focus of the 2+2 talks will be to deepen global strategic partnership between the two countries.
19. India And France to collaborate on ‘Gaganyaan’
- India and France have announced a working group for Gaganyaan.
- Gaganyaan is ISRO’s first manned mission announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Independence Day.
- The announcement was made at the sixth edition of the Bengaluru Space Expo by French space agency president Jean-Yves Le Gall.
- India plans to send three humans to space before 2022.
20. Telangana recommends dissolution of Assembly
- The Telangana State Cabinet has recommended the dissolution of the State Legislative Assembly.
- The decision was taken at a meeting of the State Cabinet that was chaired by Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao.
- Elections to the Telangana Assembly were held in April and May of 2014 as part of the polls to the Assembly of the then united Andhra Pradesh.