Weekly Current Affairs
( 17-23 September 2018 )
Current Affair #01
Important Defence News (17-23 Sept 2018)
- An indigenously developed Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile was successfully flight tested from Ahmednagar test range.
- Aviaindra, an Air Force level exercise between India and the Russian Federation was conducted at Lipetsk, Russia.
- India successfully test-fired its indigenously developed surface-to-surface short-range tactical ballistic missile ‘Prahaar’ on 20 September 2018.
Current Affair #02
Imp Business & Economy (17-23 Sept 2018)
- The government of India proposed the merger of Bank of Baroda, Dena Bank and Vijaya Bank to create India’s third-largest bank.
- PayU India has received Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) approval to operate its own Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC).
- India Post Payments Bank and Bajaj Allianz announced a five-year partnership to sell life insurance products on a revenue share basis.
Current Affair #03
Important sports news (17-23 Sept 2018)
- Mary Kom won a gold medal in boxing at Silesian Open Boxing Tournament for women in Gliwice, Poland.
- Boxers Simranjit Kaur (64kg), Monika (48kg) and Bhagyabati Kachari (81kg) won gold medals at the Ahmet Comert Tournament in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Sakshi Malik won the Silver medal at the Medved International Wrestling tournament at Minsk, Belarus.
Current Affair #04
Important International News (17-23 Sept 2018)
- Moutaz Mousa Abdallah has become Sudan’s new Prime Minister.
- The 2nd edition of Nepal-China joint military exercise begins in China’s Sichuan province.
- Germany has launched the world’s first hydrogen-powered train named ‘Coradia iLint train’.
- The World Anti-Doping Agency lifted a ban on Russia’s anti-doping agency.
Current Affair #05
Important Awards & Honors (17-23 Sept 2018)
- Peter Farrelly’s dramatic comedy movie ‘Green Book’, won the Toronto International Film Festival audience prize.
- British writer Daisy Johnson became the youngest author to be shortlisted for the prestigious Man Booker Prize 2018.
- The all-women crew of INSV Tarini has bagged the prestigious Tenzing Norgay National Adventure award.
Current Affair #06
Important Day & Events (17-23 Sept 2018)
- 16 September is designated by the United Nations General Assembly as the International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer.
- The International Day of Peace is observed every year on 21 September.
Current Affair #07
Important Govt schemes (17-23 Sept 2018)
- The Uttar Pradesh Police will launch ‘dial-FIR scheme’ where a common man can register regular crimes without going to a police station.
- The Ministry of Home Affairs launched an online ‘e-Sahaj’ portal for grant of Security Clearance for companies.
- ‘Atal Bimit Vyakti Kalyan Yojna’ was launched for insured persons covered under the Employees’ State Insurance Act, 1948.
- The Union Minister for Railways and Coal, Piyush Goyal inaugurated the ‘first ever’ India Tourism Mart in New Delhi.
- Union Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan released world’s first draft on Cooling Action Plan.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh launched India’s first ever online and centralised National Database on Sexual Offenders (NDSO) in New Delhi.
Current Affair #08
Important Agreements (17-23 Sept 2018)
- India and Food and Agriculture Organisation have launched an agriculture project with US$33.5 million grant from the Global Environment Facility.
- India has signed a loan agreement with the World Bank for US$74 million for Uttarakhand Workforce Development Project.
- The New Development Bank of the BRICS countries has approved a $525-million loan to Madhya Pradesh for infrastructure projects.
Current Affair #09
Important persons in news (17-23 Sept 2018)
- Varun Dhawan and Anushka Sharma have been signed on to promote and endorse the Skill India Mission (SIM).
- India’s first woman IAS officer after Independence, Anna Rajam Malhotra died on 17 Sept 2018.
- Mountaineers Satyarup Siddhanta and Mousumi Khatua created history by climbing Asia’s highest volcanic peak Mount Damavand in Iran.
Current Affair #10
Important India & World News (17-23 Sept 2018)
- India and Malta signed 3 MoUs in the fields of Maritime Cooperation, Tourism and Training.
- The construction of a friendship pipeline project between India and Bangladesh was inaugurated.
- India and Germany signed an agreement in the field of vocational education.
- India and Morocco signed the revised Air Services Agreement which will enhance the air connectivity between the two countries.
Current Affair #11
Important Appointments-I (17-23 Sept 2018)
- Prashant Kumar has taken charge as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the State Bank of India.
- Former foreign secretary S Jaishankar has joined the board of the US-India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF).
- Renowned scientist Kamlesh Nilkanth Vyas has been appointed the secretary of the Department of Atomic Energy and chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission.
- Renowned sand artist Sudarshan Pattnaik has been appointed as the president of the Odisha Lalit Kala Akademi (LKA).
- Tajinder Mukherjee has been appointed as the new Chairman and Managing Director of National Insurance Company Limited (NIC).
- Gitesh Sarma has been appointed as Secretary (West) in the Ministry of External Affairs.
Current Affair #12
Miscellaneous News (17-23 Sept 2018)
- Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani declared the entire Kutch district as ‘scarcity affected area’.
- Chief Election Commissioner said voters will be using C-Vigil mobile app to check poll code violations and voters can also file a complaint against misconduct.
- The Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C42) of ISRO successfully launched two satellites, ‘NovaSAR and S1-4’ on 16th September 2018.