Today Current Affairs-27 September 2018
Current Affair #01
PM Modi awarded UN Champions of Earth Award
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been awarded the prestigious United Nations Champions of the Earth Award.
- Narendra Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron have been awarded in the Policy Leadership category, for their efforts regarding their International Solar Alliance.
- The Champions of the Earth prize is awarded to leaders whose actions have had a positive impact on the environment.
Current Affair #02
SC declared Aadhaar as constitutionally valid
- The Supreme Court on 26 September 2018 declared the government’s Aadhaar scheme as constitutionally valid.
- The Supreme Court, however, struck down some of its provisions including its linking with bank accounts, mobile phones and school admissions.
- The Supreme Court held that Aadhaar would remain mandatory for the filing of IT returns and allotment of Permanent Account Number (PAN).
Current Affair #03
Cabinet approves MoU b/w India, and Uzbekistan
- The Union Cabinet has approved the MoU between India and Uzbekistan on 26th September, 2018.
- The MoU will help in mutual cooperation in regulation of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances, and in combating drug trafficking.
- It is an effective framework to deal with all issues requiring mutual assistance and cooperation in the areas identified.
Current Affair #04
Cabinet approves MoU b/w NITI Aayog, and MEDRF
- The Cabinet has approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between NITI Aayog, and Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation (MEDRF).
- The MoU is in the field of social, economic, industrial and regional development programs.
- It provides a framework and enabling environment to understand each other’s strengths, market, technologies, policies, etc.
Current Affair #05
Financial assistance for canal approved
- Union Cabinet approved Central Assistance of Rs. 620.42 Crore and Rs. 205.758 Crore for implementation of relining of Rajasthan Feeder Canal and Sirhind Feeder Canal respectively.
- Implementation of these twin projects would help in addressing the problem of water-logging in South-West Punjab.
- Funding to the Rajasthan Feeder and Sirhind feeder shall be made through NABARD.
Current Affair #06
Proposal to convert GSTN into govt entity
- The Union Cabinet cleared a proposal to convert GST Network (GSTN) into a 100% government-owned company.
- GSTN provides IT infrastructure for the new indirect tax regime.
- After restructuring of GSTN, ownership will be equally divided between the Centre and states.
- Currently, the Centre and states together hold 49% stake in the GST Network.
Current Affair #07
Cabinet approved Digital Communications Policy
- The Union Cabinet has approved the National Digital Communications Policy-2018 (NDCP-2018) and re-designation of the Telecom Commission as the “Digital Communications Commission”.
- The policy aims to facilitate India’s effective participation in the global digital economy.
- The policy also aims to ensure digital sovereignty and the objectives are to be achieved by 2022.
Current Affair #08
Successful flight test of Astra Missile
- Astra missile was successfully test fired by the Indian Air Force, on 26 September 2018 from Air Force Station, Kalaikunda.
- Astra is the indigenously developed Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile (BVRAAM).
- Astra, deemed to be the best in class weapon system, has undergone more than 20 developmental trials.
Current Affair #09
Finance Ministry launches Jan Dhan Darshak App
- Finance Ministry has launched Mobile Application ‘Jan Dhan Darshak’ as a Part of Financial Inclusion.
- This App will provide guidance to the common people in locating a financial service touch point at a given location in the country.
- Department of Financial Services (DFS) and National Informatics Centre (NIC) have jointly developed the app Jan Dhan Darshak.
Current Affair #10
Ordinance to dissolve MCI passed by President
- President Ram Nath Kovind has given assent to promulgate an Ordinance to set up a committee to run the Medical Council of India (MCI).
- The committee will have a 7-member Board of Governors led by NITI Aayog Member Dr V.K. Paul.
- The Bill provides for simplification of procedures and is aimed at spurring rapid growth in the number of undergraduate and postgraduate medical seats in the country.
Current Affair #11
Asian Yoga Sports Championship in Kerala
- The 8th Asian Yoga Sports Championship organised by Asian Yoga Federation was inaugurated on 27 September 2018 in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- The event have around 500 participants representing 14 Asian countries showcasing their yoga skills.
- Yogaratna Awards will be given away to foreign delegates who were instrumental in popularising yoga in their respective countries.
Current Affair #12
MHA merges police forces in 6 UTs
- Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has notified new rules merging police forces in 6 Union Territories.
- The National Capital Territory of Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman and Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Chandigarh (Police Service) Rules, 2018, was notified on September 25 2018.
- The police officers, who are not direct IPS recruits, could be posted in any of the 6 UTs.
Current Affair #13
Defence Ministry gets transaction adviser
- For the first time, the Defence Ministry has appointed a transaction adviser and a legal adviser for procurement projects under the Strategic Partnership (SP) model.
- SBI Capital Markets has been appointed as the transaction adviser.
- The first task for the advisers will be to work on the Expression of Interest for the Naval Utility Helicopters.
Current Affair #14
Navy inked pact to build two DSVs
- The Navy has signed a contract with the Hindustan Shipyard Limited (HSL), Visakhapatnam.
- The contract is for building two diving support vessels (DSVs), which are required for submarine support operations at sea.
- The DSV enables divers to remain underwater for long hours with their equipment.
- The Navy undertakes diving operations in the Indian Ocean Region for submarine rescue.
Current Affair #15
BSE can now launch gold, silver futures
- BSE has received regulatory approval from the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) to launch delivery-based futures contract in gold (1 kg) and silver (30 kg).
- The exchange will launch trading in these contracts on October 1 2018.
- The delivery centre of gold and silver futures contract will be BSE designated vaults at Ahmedabad initially.