Today Current Affairs-28 September 2018
Current Affair #01
SC allows entry of women in Sabarimala temple
- The Supreme Court on 28 September 2018 allowed entry of women of all ages into the Ayyappa temple at Sabarimala in Kerala.
- The SC said banning entry of women to Kerala’s Sabarimala temple is gender discrimination and the practice violates rights of Hindu women.
- The court gave its verdict on a clutch of pleas challenging the ban on entry of women at Sabarimala in Kerala.
Current Affair #02
ADB approved $150 mn loan for Madhya Pradesh
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) will provide $150 million loan for establishing the first multi-skills park in Madhya Pradesh.
- The skills park will be equipped with international training facilities to enhance the quality of Madhya Pradesh’s technical and vocational education and training (TVET) system.
- Skills Park campus will be established in Bhopal.
Current Affair #03
1st consignment of rice to China from Nagpur
- The first consignment of non-basmati rice of 100 tonnes have been shipped to China from Nagpur.
- The consignment will be received by China National Cereals, Oils and Foodstuffs Corporation.
- 19 rice mills have been registered for export of non-basmati rice from India to China.
- The protocol to export rice was signed on 9 June 2018, at Qingdao, China, during Narendra Modi’s visit.
Current Affair #04
UN General meeting on ending TB
- The United Nations General Assembly’s first-ever high-level meeting on tuberculosis (TB) to accelerate efforts in ending TB was held on 26 September 2018 in New York.
- The theme of the meeting was “United to end tuberculosis: an urgent global response to a global epidemic”.
- At the meeting, representatives adopted a declaration to “reaffirm” their promise to build a TB-free world by 2030.
Current Affair #05
Argentina got biggest loan from IMF
- Argentina has received the biggest loan package ever from the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- The loan amount of $57 billion will be disbursed over the next 3 years.
- The aim is to restore the Argentina’s struggling economy.
- As per the loan agreement, IMF will only allow Argentina’s central bank to intervene to stabilize its currency if the peso depreciates below 44 pesos to the dollar.
Current Affair #06
Rajni Kant Mishra is the new chief of BSF
- The government appointed Rajni Kant Mishra as the Director-General of Border Security Force (BSF).
- Rajni Kant Mishra is the 1984 batch Indian Police Service officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre.
- At present, Rajni Kant Mishra is the head of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
- He will head the BSF till August 31, 2019.
Current Affair #07
RBI eases cash reserve rules
- The Reserve Bank of India eased mandatory cash requirement rules for banks to provide “durable liquidity” to the economy.
- RBI said that banks could ‘carve out’ up to 15% of holdings under the Statutory Liquidity Reserves to meet their Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR) requirements as compared to 13% now.
- The relaxation in Statutory Liquidity Ratio requirement with effect from October 1, 2018
Current Affair #08
Govt forms Lokpal search committee
- The government has set up an 8 member Lokpal Search Committee under the Chairmanship of former Supreme Court Judge, Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai.
- The panel will recommend the names for the Chairperson and Members of the Lokpal
- Prasar Bharati Chairman A Surya Prakash, former SBI Chief Arundhati Bhattacharya and Justice Sukha Ram Singh Yadav among others will be members of the panel.
Current Affair #09
India’s first flood forecast system launched
- The Kolkata Municipal Corporation, with the support of the Asian Development Bank launched the India’s first flood forecasting and early-warning system.
- The system will provide real-time data on inundation, rainfall intensity, temperature, air quality and other climate-related data.
- This will help policy-makers to make informed decisions during disasters.
Current Affair #10
India-UN signed 5 year SDF (2018-2022)
- NITI Aayog CEO, Amitabh Kant and United Nations Resident Coordinator in India, Yuri Afanasiev, signed the ‘Government of India-United Nations Sustainable Development Framework’ (UNSDF) for 2018-2022.
- 19 UN agencies have signed on the UNSDF 2018-2022.
- The UNSDF 2018-22 comprises of seven priority areas that outline the work that UN agencies will undertake.
Current Affair #11
Centre steps up grant for disaster fund
- The government of India has enhanced its contribution in the State Disaster Response Fund (SDRF) from 75% to 90% with effect from April 2018.
- As per revised guidelines, the government of India will contribute 90% while states will contribute 10% to the relief fund.
- SDRF was established at the state level to meet the rescue and relief expenditure of disaster-affected states.
Current Affair #12
'Incredible India' Mobile App launched
- The Union Tourism Minister, K.J. Alphons on the World Tourism Day launched the ‘Incredible India’ Mobile App.
- The app showcases India as a holistic destination, revolving around major experiences, such as spirituality, heritage, culture, yoga, wellness etc.
- The app has been developed by Tech Mahindra.
- The app is equipped with features to assist the traveler in each phase of their journey.
Current Affair #13
Kavita Mahajan passed away in Pune
- Eminent Marathi litterateur and translator Kavita Mahajan passed away in Pune on 27 September 2018.
- She was the winner of 2011 Sahitya Akademi translation award.
- Her fluent translation from Urdu to Marathi of 17 short stories by Ismat Chugtai won her the 2011 Sahitya Akademi prize for best translation.
Current Affair #14
National Tourism Awards 2016-17
- Tourism Minister K J Alphons presented National Tourism Awards 2016-17 in various segments of the Travel, Tourism, and Hospitality.
- Andhra Pradesh bagged the first prize in state category for comprehensive development of tourism followed by Kerala.
- Rajasthan and Goa jointly shared the third prize.
- India will be the host country for official World Tourism Day celebrations in 2019.
Current Affair #15
2nd Hornbill's Flight International Race
- The 2nd edition of the cycle race, ‘Dalmia MTB Arunachal; Hornbill’s Flight International Race’ will be held on 14-22 November.
- The cycling track extends from Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh to Mechuka in the West Siang district about 650 km away.
- More than 100 cyclists from over 10 countries will participate.
- The total prize money for the race is of Rs 22.5 lakhs.
Current Affair #16
CoE for Data Analytics and DigiVaarta
- National Informatics Centre (NIC) and National Informatics Centre Services Incorporated (NICSI) have jointly set up a Centre of Excellence (CoE) for data analytics to support the government.
- The Centre of Excellence for Data Analytics (CEDA) was launched on 28th September 2018.
- NIC is a technology advisor and ICT solution provider to Government at all levels.
Current Affair #17
Govt launched Agmark online system
- The government launched an online platform for processing applications related to quality certification mark ‘Agmark’ for agricultural products.
- Agmark is certification mark that assures conformity to a set of standards approved by the Directorate of Marketing and Inspection.
- In the new online application system, there are provisions for online receipt of fees from the applicants.
Current Affair #18
India ranks 96th on Economic Freedom Index
- India’s ranks 96th among 162 countries on Economic Freedom in the World, released by the Centre for Civil Society (CCS).
- India ranked 98th on the index in the previous year’s report.
- Hong Kong and Singapore again topped the index with the first and the second country respectively.
- The 2018 report is based on data from 2016.
Current Affair #19
World Rabies Day: 28 September
- World Rabies Day is celebrated annually on September 28 to raise awareness about rabies prevention.
- The theme for 2018 is ‘Rabies: Share the message. Save a life’.
- The day marks the death anniversary of Louis Pasteur, the French chemist, and microbiologist, who developed the first rabies vaccine.
Current Affair #20
CSL-Andaman and Nicobar signed MoU
- Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL) signed an agreement with the Andaman and Nicobar administration to spruce up the operational efficiency of the marine dockyard in Port Blair.
- The agreement also ensures the faster turnaround of vessels for seamless operations.
- The islands have a key position in India’s strategic role in the Bay of Bengal and the Malacca Strait.