Today Current Affairs-29 September 2018
Current Affair #01
Govt sets up panel to review CSR framework
- The government of India has formed an 11-member committee to look into the existing framework for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) activities under the companies law.
- The committee will be headed by Corporate Affairs Secretary Injeti Srinivas.
- Additional Solicitor General PS Narasimha, Tata Sons Chairman N Chandrasekaran, Prakash Padukone are part of the 11-member committee.
Current Affair #02
Rangachari Sridharan appointed chief of NFRA
- Former IAS officer Rangachari Sridharan was appointed as first chief of National Financial Reporting Authority (NFRA) on 28 September 2018.
- He will hold the post of chairperson for three years or till the age of 65 years.
- The NFRA is mandated to act as an independent regulator for the auditing profession.
- It will help in better regulation of financial audit of large companies.
Current Affair #03
Venkatesan is UNICEF'S special representative
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has appointed Ravi Venkatesan has its special representative of young people.
- Venkatesan will provide strategic guidance and support UNICEF globally with high-level outreach, partnerships and scaling innovations.
- Venkatesan was the former chairman of the Bank of Baroda between 2015-18 and prior to that as the chairman of Microsoft India.
Current Affair #04
Govt formed panel to advise on boosting trade
- The commerce ministry has set up a High-Level Advisory Group (HLAG) to look into the opportunities and ways to address the ongoing challenges in the global trade scenario.
- HLAG will be headed by economist Surjit S. Bhalla.
- The other members of the group include S. Jaishankar, Former Foreign Secretary and Sanjeev Sanyal, Principal Economic Advisor.
Current Affair #05
Conclave of CMs of 12 Himalayan states
- A conclave of chief ministers and parliamentarians of 12 Himalayan states will be held in Shimla on October 5, 2018.
- The theme of the meet is “well being of the next generation of Himalayan people through agriculture”.
- The Himachal Pradesh government is organising the conclave in partnership with Integrated Mountain Initiative (IMI).
Current Affair #06
Vikram appointed India's Ambassador to China
- The government of India appointed as Vikram Misri as the ambassador of India to the Republic of China.
- At present, Vikram Misri is the ambassador of India to Myanmar.
- Misri will be replacing Gautam Bambawale, who was India’s Ambassador to China until now.
- Misri is a career diplomat from the 1989 batch of the Indian Foreign Service.
Current Affair #07
WHO launched SAFER initiative
- The World Health Organization (WHO) released a new initiative, named SAFER.
- SAFER is the WHO-led roadmap to support governments in taking practical steps to accelerate progress on health by addressing the harmful use of alcohol.
- SAFER provides 5 high-impact strategic actions prioritised for implementation to promote health and development.
Current Affair #08
Assam to introduce methanol as cooking fuel
- The Assam Petrochemicals Limited (APL) will start a pilot project on October 5, 2018, on the use of methanol as an alternative to cooking gas.
- The use of methanol or methyl alcohol as an alternative to liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) will help reduce the cost of cooking.
- APL is a public sector undertaking of the Assam government.
Current Affair #09
Jayant Mammen Mathew elected president of INS
- Jayant Mammen Mathew was elected as the president of the prestigious Indian Newspaper Society.
- He is the Executive Editor of Malayala Manorama.
- Indian Newspaper Society acts as a central organisation of the print media industry in India and promotes and safeguards the interests of the industry.
Current Affair #10
Rail Heritage Digitisation Project launced
- Minister of Railways, Shri Piyush Goyal has launched “Rail Heritage Digitisation Project” of Indian Railways in collaboration with Google Arts & Culture.
- The project is first of its kind in India, to showcase the country’s Rail Heritage to the National and International audience.
- Under the project, 22 digital screens will be set up across different locations for showcasing this project.
Current Affair #11
Conference on Academic Leadership inaugurated
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the ‘Conference on Academic Leadership on Education for Resurgence’ in New Delhi on 29 September 2018.
- It was attended by vice-chancellors and directors of over 350 higher education institutions.
- The theme of the conference is to deliberate on the challenges faced by the Indian education system and to work out a plan for achieving academic outcomes.
Current Affair #12
Two MoU’s between India and Uzbekistan
- Two MoU’s were signed between India and Uzbekistan on infrastructure and capacity building in ICT sector.
- The MoUs include an agreement between National Informatics Centre and e-Government System of Uzb for strengthening e-Governance cooperation.
- Also, Intent deceleration between CDAC and Tashkent University of Information Technologies, Uzbekistan for cooperation in building the ICT sector.
Current Affair #13
India lift Asia Cup for 7th time
- Indian team has lifted the Asia Cup for the 7th time by defeated Bangladesh by 3 wickets in the final match played at Dubai .
- Liton Das was named the man of the match for scoring 121 runs off 117 balls.
- Player of the series: Shikhar Dhawan (342)
- Participants: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Hong Kong.
Current Affair #14
EC on premature dissolution of assembly
- Election Commission has issued direction on the applicability of Model Code of Conduct in case of premature dissolution of the state assembly.
- The code of conduct will be followed by the caretaker government until the formation of new government.
- The direction has implications for Telangana where the government is continuing as a caretaker government after it dissolved the state assembly.
Current Affair #15
Ahmedabad and Indore Airports- Best Airports
- AAI’s Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar Airport, Indore and Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport, Ahmedabad were conferred with the prestigious National Tourism Awards 2016-17.
- Ahmedabad airport received the Best Airport Award in Major Cities category.
- Indore airport received the Best Airport Award in ‘Rest of India’ category.
- The awards were presented on World Tourism Day i.e 27 Sept 2018.
Current Affair #16
'Kalahandi Dialogue' conclave inaugurated
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched the three-day ‘Kalahandi Dialogue’, a global conclave on development for Kalahandi district.
- The reason behind conclave is to create the collaborative platform to engage the youth in development dialogue and action.
- CM also congratulated the people of Kalahandi for making the district the “green basket” of Odisha.
Current Affair #17
Bachendri Pal to lead clean Ganga
- Bachendri Pal will lead a month-long rafting expedition “Mission Ganga” to spread awareness on waste management.
- The expedition will start from Haridwar on October 5 and traverse through Bijnor, Farukhabad, Kanpur, Allahabad, Varanasi, Buxar and end at Patna on Oct 30.
- Bachendri Pal, chief of Tata Steel Adventure Foundation (TSAF) is the first Indian woman to climb the Mount Everest.
Current Affair #18
RBI cracks down on Bandhan Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has cracked the whip on Bandhan Bank freezing the remuneration of its MD and CEO Chandra Shekhar Ghosh for violating norms.
- The action taken is for not bringing down promoters’ shareholding in the bank to 40% within 3 years of operations as mandated by it while granting the bank license.
- RBI had also barred the Kolkata-based lender from opening new branches.
Current Affair #19
Kanha guide among winners of TOFTigers Awards
- Ramkali Dhurway, a guide from Kanha Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh won the “Billy Arjan Singh Memorial Award for Wildlife Guide” at TOFTigers Wildlife Awards.
- The theme of the 5th edition: “Inclusive Conservation – People and Wildlife”.
- Also, a restaurant from Nepal and a nature tour operator from the Netherlands were some of the winners at the event.
Current Affair #20
Tsunami in Indonesia
- Nearly 400 people have been killed in a devastating earthquake and tsunami in Palu city on Sulawesi island in Indonesia.
- The tsunami up to 2m high struck beaches in Palu and the nearby fishing town of Donggala, closest to the epicenter of the quake.
- Indonesia’s meteorology and geophysics agency, BMKG had earlier issued a tsunami warning but lifted it within the hour.