CURRENT AFFAIRS – 08 SEP 2018
01. 6th edition of Space Expo inaugurated
- The 6th edition of the biennial Bengaluru Space Expo was inaugurated by ISRO Chairman Dr.K Sivan in Bengaluru.
- The three-day event will showcase industry participation in Indian space programme.
- Dr.K Sivan also said that France will provide space medicines for Indian astronauts who will be part of India’s first Manned Space Mission Gaganyan.
02. Anshula appointed as SBI Managing Director
- Anshula Kant is appointed as the Managing Director of State Bank of India.
- Her name was recommended by the Bank Boards Bureau for the post.
- The post of MD, SBI fell vacant after the resignation of B Sriram, who took over as the MD and CEO of IDBI Bank.
03. HDFC Bank is India’s most valued brand
- HDFC Bank retained its top spot in the BrandZ India Top 50 for the fifth year in a row.
- The total brand value of HDCF bank grew by 21 percent to $21.7 billion in 2018.
- Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) comes at the second spot due to the key role played by its pension plan business, while Tata Consultancy Services ranked third on the list.
04. India, U.S. signed COMCASA agreement
- India and the United States signed Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA).
- The agreement is on military and security cooperation.
- COMCASA will facilitate access to advanced defence systems and enable India to optimally utilise its existing US-origin platforms.
- India and the U.S. would also hold a first-ever tri-service exercise on the east coast of India in 2019.
05. Indian navy joins exercise SLINEX-2018
- Indian navy ships and aircraft have arrived in Sri Lanka to take part in the joint exercise ‘SLINEX-2018’ to be held with Sri Lankan navy.
- The exercise will be conducted in two phases, namely the Harbour and Sea Phase.
- It will involve joint training, exchange of expertise, helicopter and maritime patrol aircraft operations, search and rescue, and manoeuvres at sea.
06. Monetary limit for filing cases in DRT doubled
- The government doubled the pecuniary limit to Rs 20 lakh for filing loan recovery application in the Debt Recovery Tribunals (DRT) by banks and financial institutions.
- The move is aimed at helping reduce pendency of cases in DRTs.
- There are 39 DRTs in the country.
- Any bank or financial institution or a consortium of banks cannot approach DRTs if the amount due is less than Rs 20 lakh.
07. Temasek inked pact to invest $400 mn in NIIF
- Singapore-based global investment firm Temasek has signed an agreement to invest up to $400 million in the National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) of India.
- Temasek will join as an investor in NIIF’s Master Fund.
- The fund invests in core infrastructure sectors in India with a focus on transportation, energy and urban infrastructure.
08. EVs, CNG vehicles don’t need permits
- Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari said that no permits would be required for vehicles running on alternative fuel, including CNG, ethanol and electric vehicles.
- The move is expected to boost the demand for such vehicles in the country.
- A permit is an instrument issued by a State or Regional Transport Authority authorizing the use of a motor vehicle as a transport vehicle.
09. PM to inaugurate first Global Mobility Summit
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the first Global Mobility Summit called ‘MOVE’ organized by NITI Ayog in New Delhi.
- The focus of the summit will be on raising awareness about various aspects of Mobility and bringing together various stakeholders across different platforms.
- The first summit is expected to see over 2200 participants from all over the world.
10. Govt. grants ‘trust’ status to Bharat Ke Veer
- The government has granted the status of a ‘trust’ to ‘Bharat Ke Veer’, a private initiative promoted by actor Akshay Kumar.
- The trust will help families of paramilitary personnel killed in action.
- Contributions to Bharat Ke Veer have been exempted from Income Tax.
- Akshay Kumar and former national badminton champion Pullela Gopichand have been included as trustees.
11. Indian Railways launched ‘Aapoorti’ mobile app
- Railway Minister Piyush Goyal launched a new mobile application named “AAPOORTI’ of the Indian Railways e-procurement system.
- The new application would provide information and data related to e-tendering and e-auction related activities of the Railways.
- The app has also been provided with user manuals of Indian Railways’ e-procurement system.
12. ONGC discovered oil reserves in M.P., Bengal
- Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) has made oil and gas discoveries in Madhya Pradesh and West Bengal that may potentially open up two new sedimentary basins in the country.
- ONGC has found gas deposits in a block in Vindhyan basin in Madhya Pradesh.
- Oil and gas discovery has been made in Ashok Nagar of 24 Parganas district in West Bengal.
13. ISRO unveils space suit for 2022 mission
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) displayed a space suit for mission ‘Gangayaan’ at the 6th edition of Bengaluru Space Expo.
- The orange-colored prototype space suit is developed at Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre in Thiruvananthapuram.
- ISRO also displayed the crew capsule with a thermal shield for three astronauts that will be orbiting Earth at a 400-km altitude for 5-7 days.
14. HM inaugurated Defence & HLS Expo
- A three-day defence and homeland security expo began in New Delhi on September 6, 2018.
- The expo was inaugurated by Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
- The objective of the expo is to enable the nation to become self-reliant in Home Land Security and Defence sector.
- Home Land Security (HLS) involves the protection of citizens and critical infrastructure for natural and intentional threats.
15. Odisha House nod for Legislative Council
- A resolution seeking creation of a Legislative Council in Odisha was passed in the State Assembly on 6th September, 2018.
- The resolution will be sent to the Centre for approval of Parliament to facilitate creation of the Legislative Council.
- A proposal for creation of the Legislative Council in Odisha was passed by the State Cabinet on August 24, 2018.
16. Sikkim’s data sharing & access portal launched
- The first data sharing and access portal of Sikkim has been launched by Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling.
- The data sharing and accessibility platform will improve access to information and specify new data sets and records to be collected and published.
- The platform is intended to be used by all state government departments and PSUs.
17. China launched satellite to monitor sea waters
- China launched a marine satellite to help improve the understanding of maritime waters and climate change.
- A Long March-2C rocket carrying the ‘HY-1C satellite’ was launched from China.
- The satellite will help monitor ocean colour and water temperatures, providing basic data for research on the global oceanic environment.
18. Hriday Hazarika won gold in 10m air rifle
- Hriday Hazarika won gold medal for India in the Men’s 10m Air Rifle Junior event at the ongoing International Shooting Sports Federation (ISSF) World Championship.
- Mohammed Amir from Iran won the silver medal and Russia’s Grigorii Shamakov won bronze medal.
- Hriday Hazarika was the only Indian to qualify for the men’s final.
19. India to partner in Izmir International show
- India is the partner country in the ‘Izmir International trade show’ which began on September 7, 2018, in Turkey.
- India will also launch a business pavilion ‘Source India’ to increase exports to Turkey and other neighbouring countries.
- Source India, with 75 Indian participating companies, will be a multi-product pavilion.
20. Swachhata Hi Seva Campaign launch on 15 Sept
- ‘Swachhata Hi Seva 2018’ a Jan Andolan for Swachhata to be observed in the run-up to the 4th anniversary of the Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) from 15th September to 2nd October 2018.
- SHS aims at accelerating the Jan-Andolan for realizing the vision of a Clean India.
- The launch of the campaign will be done through video conference at more than 15 locations across the country.