CURRENT AFFAIRS – 09 SEP 2018
01. Bengaluru to host AERO in 2019
- Defence Ministry announced that Bengaluru will host AERO India from 20th to 24th Feb 2019.
- The AERO will be hosted by strongYelahanka Air Force strong station which has hosted all 11 editions of AERO India so far.
- This five-day event will combine a major trade exhibition for the aerospace and defence industries with public air shows.
02. BJP national meeting to begin today
- The BJP national meeting is set to begin Saturday afternoon i.e. 8th Sept 2018.
- The two-day meeting will be attended by its key leaders from all states and Union territories besides its national leadership.
- The agenda of the meeting will be formulate its strategy for the state assembly polls and the Lok Sabha elections and discussion about various issues.
03. Alibaba co-founder Jack Ma to retire at 54
- Alibaba co-founder and chairman Jack Ma plans to retire from the Chinese e-commerce giant on Monday on his 54th birthday.
- After retirement Jack Ma plan to devote his time to philanthropy focused on education.
- Jack Ma is among China’s richest men with a net worth estimated by Forbes at $38.6 billion.
04. First Omnivorous Shark species Discovered
- Scientists have discovered an omnivorous shark species which depends 60% on seagrass for its food requirement.
- Bonnethead sharks eat seagrass along with snails, crabs, bony fish and shrimp.
- The bonnethead shark is abundant in the shallow waters of the Western Atlantic, and the Gulf of Mexico.
05. India signs 5 MoUs with Czech Republic.
- The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, visited the Prague Castle at Czech Republic and met the President of the Nation Milos Zeman, on the final leg of his three European nations tour.
- MoU was signed between the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, India and the Czech Academy of Sciences.
- Both countries have agreed to initiate cooperation in civil nuclear energy.
06. 2nd World Hindu Congress in Chicago
- The Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu is on a two-day visit to USA on September 7-9, 2018.
- The VP will address the 2nd World Hindu Congress being held in Chicago on the occasion of 125th Anniversary of Swami Vivekananda’s Historic Speech at the Parliament of the World’s Religions in 1893.
- VP is also expected to participate in a programme organized by 14 Telugu Associations of the US.
07. Global Sanitation Convention on MG Birthday
- Union Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation will organize a Global Sanitation Convention to mark the beginning of 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi and the fourth anniversary of the Swach Bharat Mission.
- The Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention (MGISC) will be a 4-day international conference.
India aims to eliminate open defecation by October 2nd, 2019.
08. MDL to deliver 2nd Submarine by year end
- The Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL) is expected to deliver its second submarine, ‘Khanderi’ to the Navy by the end of 2018.
- The submarine Khanderi is named after the Island fort of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
- According to Deal signed between Navy and MDL in 2005, the company is required to build six scorpene class diesel-electric attack submarines in collaboration with M/s Naval group of France.
09. Rocket to test parachute for Mars lander
- NASA has launched a sounding rocket from the agency’s Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia to test a supersonic parachute for landing its next rover on Mars.
- The rocket launched on Friday carried the Advanced Supersonic Parachute Inflation Research Experiment (ASPIRE) from NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California.
- The parachute was successfully returned at the source.
10. Ankur Mittal Won Gold in ISSF Championship
- Ankur Mittal claimed the men’s double trap gold medal in the ISSF World Championship in Changwon on Saturday.
- The 26-year-old overcame the Chinese 4-3 to emerge triumphant after the Slovakian had missed his second shoot-off clay target to settle for bronze.
- After the seventh day of competition, India has 20 medals – seven gold, seven silver, and six bronze.
11. Pakistan set to allow ‘visa-less entry’
- Pakistan set to allow ‘visa-less entry’ to pilgrims headed for Kartarpur Sahib.
- The Kartarpur Gurdwara is located in Narowal district of Punjab province near the Indian border and is revered by Sikhs due to the belief that the founder of Sikhism Guru Nanak died there.
- A corridor will be made to visit the Gurdwara for visa-less entry.
12. ‘Sarala Puraskar’ for poet Satrughna Pandav
- Odia poet Satrughna Pandav will be honored with the prestigious ‘Sarala Puraskar’ for his poetry collection ‘Misra Dhrupad’.
- The annual Sarala Puraskar, recognized as one of the foremost literary awards.
- The ‘Sarala Puraskar’ – instituted by eminent Odia industrialist late Dr Bansidhar Panda and late Ila Panda in 1979 and awarded by the Indian Metals Public Charitable Trust(IMPaCT)
13. Navies of India, Lanka begin joint exercise
- Three Indian naval ships reached Trincomalee for the sixth edition of the SLINEX 2018 – a bilateral naval exercise between India and Sri Lanka – which began on 7th September 2018.
- The inaugural ceremony of the exercise was held on board Sri Lankan Navy’s SLNS Sayurala.
- The exercise is being conducted in two phases.
- The SLINEX series of bilateral maritime exercises were initiated in 2005.
14. China allows Nepal to direct transit
- China on Friday agreed to allow Nepal to use four of its seaports and three land ports for third-country trade reducing the landlocked country’s dependence on India to conduct international commerce.
- Chinese authorities will provide permits to trucks and containers ferrying Nepal-bound cargo to and from Xigatse in Tibet, as per the new arrangement.
15. IRDAI tests guidelines for ‘Sandbox Method’
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) is working on the guidelines for ‘Sandbox’.
- ‘Sandbox’ method which will allow insurers to test products in a particular geography or among a set of few policyholders before they are available in the market.
- Industry participants believe that this move will lead to further innovation in insurance products.
16. CAD widens to 2.4% of GDP
- India’s current account deficit (CAD) stood at $15.8 billion i.e 2.4% of GDP in the Q1 of 2018-19 compared with $15 billion (2.5 per cent of GDP) in the same period of last year.
- The widening of the CAD on a y-o-y basis was primarily due to a higher trade deficit at $45.7 billion as compared with $41.9 billion in 2017
17. RBI tweaks norms for note change
- RBI tweaked norms for exchange of mutilated notes following the introduction of ₹2,000, ₹200 and other lower denomination currencies.
- Public can exchange mutilated or defective notes at RBI offices and designated bank branches across the country for either full or half value.
- Making amendments to the Reserve Bank of India (Note Refund) Rules, 2009.
18. Power Sector Subsidy to be under DBT
- The Centre has proposed a major reform in the power sector in a draft amendment to Electricity Act, 2003.
- Making DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer) only way to provide subsidy to any category of consumer by State govt.
- The Centre expects that the discoms would not accumulate debt henceforth If consumer get subsidy directly in bank accounts via DBT.
19. 52nd International Literacy Day Celebrated
- International Literacy Day, celebrated annually on September 8, is an opportunity for governments, civil society and stakeholders to highlight improvements in world literacy rates.
- The issue of literacy is a key component of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals and the UN’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- This year’s theme is ‘Literacy and skills development.’
20. 6th Int. Geriatric Orthopaedic Conference
- The Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the 6th International Geriatric Orthopaedic Society of India Conference at the AIIMS in New Delhi on 7th Sept 2018.
- The theme of the event was “Increased Longevity with Reduced Fragility and Enhanced Mobility”.
- The conference was also addressed by the President of the International Geriatric Orthopaedic Society of India, Dr.John Ebnezar.