Today Current Affairs-22 September 2018
Current Affair #01
RBI announces norms for PSL by banks, NBFCs
- The Reserve Bank announced guidelines for co-origination of priority sector loans by banks and NBFCs.
- It will enhance the flow of funds to the sector at competitive rates.
- These norms are applicable on Small Finance Banks and all Scheduled Commercial Banks except Regional Rural Banks.
Current Affair #02
UN Chief to visit India in October
- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres will visit India on October 1.
- He will inaugurate the UN House in New Delhi.
- Secretary-General Guterres would participate in the Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention in New Delhi on October 2.
Current Affair #03
Anil Kumar appointed as SAIL chairman
- Anil Kumar Chaudhary has been appointed as the new chairman of the Steel Authority of India (SAIL).
- Chaudhary, at present, has been serving as the Director (Finance) in the country’s largest steel making company.
- The post of SAIL chairman fell vacant on June 30 with the retirement of P K Singh.
Current Affair #04
Habibganj redeveloped on lines of Heidelberg
- Habibganj railway station is being reconstructed on the lines of Germany’s Heidelberg railway station.
- It is being constructed by the Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation, a special purpose vehicle of the railway ministry, along with a private firm, Bansal Pathways Habibganj Private Ltd.
- It is the first Indian Railway station to be redeveloped on the lines of Germany’s Heidelberg.
Current Affair #05
VP returns from Serbia, Malta & Romania visit
- Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu was on an official Visit to Serbia, Malta and Romania from September 14-20, 2018.
- The visit was characterised by extremely cordial discussions with Heads of Governments, PMs and other senior political leaders.
- Serbian PM – Ana Brnabic.
- Malta’s PM – Joseph Muscat.
- Romanian PM – Viorica Dancila.
Current Affair #06
PM to launch PMJAY at Ranchi
- Shri Narendra Modi, will launch the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) at Ranchi, Jharkhand, on September 23, 2018.
- Under this scheme, over 10 crore families will be provided health assurance worth Rs. 5 lakh each, every year.
- He will lay the Foundation Stone for medical colleges at Chaibasa and Koderma and will inaugurate 10 Health and Wellness Centres.
Current Affair #07
First General Assembly of the ISA to be held
- The first General Assembly of the International Solar Alliance, ISA, will be inaugurated on the 2nd of October in Delhi.
- The ISA is a major initiative of Modi in contributing to the implementation of the Paris Climate Agreement.
- The Founding Conference of the ISA was jointly hosted by Narendra Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron in New Delhi on 11 March 2018.
Current Affair #08
Foundation stone for convention centre laid
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of India International Convention and Expo Centre (IICC) in Dwarka.
- The facilities provided at the centre will be on par with the best in the world in size and quality.
- It will rank among the top 10 in the world and the biggest indoor exhibition space in India.
Current Affair #09
PM Modi inaugurated Jharsuguda Airport
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the much-awaited Jharsuguda Airport in Odisha.
- He will launch the Jharsuguda-Barapali-Sardega rail link that will be dedicated to the nation.
- Modi will also unveil a plaque to mark the commencement of work for the revival of Talcher fertilizer plant in Odisha.
- This will be the first plant in India to have a coal gasification based fertilizer unit.
Current Affair #10
Track Asia Cup starts
- India won 3 Gold, 3 Silver and a Bronze on the opening day of the 5th Track Asia Cup Cycling in New Delhi.
- Mayuri Lute won the country’s first Gold in the Women’s Junior 500 metres race.
- Another Gold came after the Indian men’s junior team performed as expected in the team sprint event, by defeating Kazakhstan.
Current Affair #11
Eliud Kipchoge sets new marathon world record
- Kenyan runner Eliud Kipchoge has set a new world record, winning the Berlin marathon in 2 hours, 1 minute and 39 seconds.
- The Olympic champion broke the record set by fellow Kenyan Dennis Kimetto in 2014 by 1 minute and 18 seconds.
- Acclaimed as the greatest marathon runner of the modern era, Kipchoge has dominated marathon racing since making his debut in Hamburg in 2013.
Current Affair #12
IRDAI raised Minimum Driver Insurance Cover
- Insurance regulator IRDAI has raised the minimum insurance cover for owner-driver to Rs. 15 lakh for a premium of Rs. 750 per annum.
- It is a move to provide some succour to road accident victims.
- Currently, the Capital Sum Insured (CSI) under this section for motorised two-wheelers and private cars/commercial vehicles is Rs. 1 lakh and Rs. 2 lakh, respectively.
Current Affair #13
India to host the Women’s Boxing World C'ship
- India will host the Women’s Boxing World Championships after more than a decade from November 15-24, 2018, in New Delhi.
- The marquee tournament was last held in India in 2006 and remains the best for the country in terms of performance.
- The first edition of the women’s world championship was held in the Unites States in Scranton in 2001.
Current Affair #14
Anushka Sharma Receives Smita Patil Award
- Union Transport Minister felicitated Anushka Sharma during the 34th anniversary of Priyadarshni Academy Global Award, in Mumbai.
- She received the Smita Patil award for best actor.
- Global Awards honours the eminent personalities in social, cultural and educational fields that have made significant contribution in their respective fields.
- Awards were started in the year 1987.
Current Affair #15
Safety audit of airlines, airports
- Civil Aviation Minister Suresh Prabhu directed Directorate General of Civil Aviation to conduct safety audit of scheduled airlines, aerodromes and flying training schools.
- The report has to be submitted within 30 days.
- This comes after around 30 passengers on a Jet Airways flight suffered nose, ear bleeds as the crew failed to turn on a switch that maintains cabin pressure.
Current Affair #16
Yes Bank pays ₹38 crore in GST fines
- Private sector lender Yes Bank has paid ₹38 crore in fines to the GST department for alleged violations in domestic remittances.
- A bank official said the money has been paid “in protest” and the lender believes that it has not violated any norms.
- However, the tax department is of the view that the bank underpaid GST.
Current Affair #17
271 mn Indians moved out of poverty: UN
- Over 270 million people in India moved out of poverty in the decade since 2005-06.
- It is according to the 2018 global Multidimensional Poverty Index released by United Nations.
- The Report stated that India’s poverty rate came down to 27.5% from 54.7% during the period.
- In South Asia 546 million people (31% of the population) are multidimensionally poor, the report claimed.
Current Affair #18
Live-in partners can adopt now
- Individuals in a live-in relationship will once again be able to adopt children from and within India.
- India’s nodal adoption agency decided to withdraw a circular issued earlier this year disallowing them from doing so.
- The Child Adoption Regulatory Authority (CARA), in a circular issued on May 31, barred applicants in a live-in relationship from adopting a child.
Current Affair #19
Hong Kong opens high-speed rail link
- Hong Kong opened a new high-speed rail link to inland China that will vastly decrease travel times.
- The system aims to transport more than 80,000 passengers daily between the Asian financial center of 7 mn people and the neighboring manufacturing hub of Guangdong province.
- The train travels the 26 km through Hong Kong to Shenzhen across the border in China in just 14 minutes.
Current Affair #20
ISRO's launch pad for Gaganyaan mission
- ISRO is setting up a third launch pad at Sriharikota to undertake the Gaganyaan manned space flight programme.
- In addition, ISRO is scouting for a location on the western sea coast near Gujarat to set up another launch pad for Small Satellite Launch Vehicles (SSLV).
- ISRO will use its GSLV Mk-III launch vehicle, which can carry the heavier payload of the Gaganyaan.