Today Current Affairs-24 September 2018
Current Affair #01
Prithvi interceptor missile test successful
- India successfully conducted an interceptor missile test off the Odisha coast.
- This Prithvi Defence Vehicle (PDV) mission is for engaging the targets in the exo-atmosphere region at an altitude above 50 km of the earth’s atmosphere.
- The interceptor is guided by high-accuracy Inertial Navigation System (INS) and is supported by a Redundant Micro Navigation System.
Current Affair #02
Renowned filmmaker Kalpana Lajmi passed away
- Renowned filmmaker Kalpana Lajmi passed away in Mumbai on 23 September 2018.
- Kalpana Lajmi was a director, producer and screenwriter and was known for working on real subjects.
- She was known for her women-oriented films like “Rudaali”, “Daman”, “Darmiyaan”.
- Lajmi’s last movie as a director was “Chingaari” in 2006.
Current Affair #03
Deepak Punia won silver medal in wrestling
- India’s Deepak Punia won a silver medal at the junior world wrestling championship in Slovakia.
- He was defeated by Turkey’s Arif Ozen.
- India ended the championship with six medals, including three silvers and three bronze medals.
Current Affair #04
Tiger population doubles in Nepal
- Nepal is likely to be the first country in the world to double its tiger population.
- Nepal announced that there are now an estimated 235 wild tigers in the country, nearly doubling the baseline of around 121 tigers in 2009.
- Nepal conducted its national tiger survey between November 2017 and April 2018 in the transboundary Terai Arc Landscape (TAL).
Current Affair #05
DEPwD celebrated ‘Int Day of Sign Languages’
- “International Day of Sign Languages” was celebrated by Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre (ISLRTC), Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment on 23 September 2018.
- International Day of Sign Languages is celebrated annually across the world on 23 September every year.
- The theme of International Day of Sign Languages is “With Sign Language, Everyone is Included !”.
Current Affair #06
PM Modi inaugurated Sikkim’s first airport
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Sikkim’s first own airport at Pakyong on 24 September 2018.
- The airport, perched between the Himalayan ranges at a height of 4,500 ft, is India’s 100th functional airport.
- The airport has been constructed by the Airports Authority of India.
- The first commercial flight from Pakyong would begin from October 4 2018.
Current Affair #07
'Mysuraksha' app launched in Mysuru
- The Mysuru city police have launched ‘Mysuraksha’ app to ensure the safety and security of auto and cab passengers.
- The passengers can scan the QR (Quick Response) code printed on autos and cabs that will have the details of the vehicle and the driver.
- If the passengers encounter any trouble, they can transmit the details to the police control room just by pressing the SOS button.
Current Affair #08
WB, UN launched 'Famine Action Mechanism'
- World Bank (WB), the United Nations and the International Committee of the Red Cross, as well as companies such as Microsoft, Google and Amazon launched a “Famine Action Mechanism” (FAM).
- FAM is an algorithm that will use analytics to identify areas that are likely to experience extreme food shortages.
- FAM will promote investments that tackle the causes of famine at the first warning signs.
Current Affair #09
'Village Rockstars' enters Oscars 2019
- Assamese movie ‘Village Rockstars’ has been selected as India’s official entry to the Oscars 2019.
- The film is directed by Rima Das.
- The film which had its World Premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival and India premiere at the Mumbai Film Festival 2018.
- It also won the ‘Best Feature film Award’ at the 65th National Film Awards.
Current Affair #10
Women Foreign Ministers hold meet
- First women-only foreign minister conference was held in Montreal, Canada on 22 September 2018.
- It is aimed at highlighting women’s key role in politics and decision-making processes.
- The meeting was co-chaired by Canada’s top diplomat, Chrystia Freeland, and the foreign affairs representative of the European Union, Federica Mogherini.
Current Affair #11
Rs 25,050 crore needed to rebuild Kerala
- The World Bank, in its preliminary report, has estimated that an amount of Rs 25,050 crore is necessary for rebuilding the state.
- The report was prepared after the visits of World Bank and Asian Development Bank teams to several flood-hit areas of Kerala.
- The final report would be submitted on October 1, 2018, after incorporating the changes suggested by the State government.
Current Affair #12
BSNL signs deal with Softbank, NTT
- BSNL has inked a pact with Japan’s Softbank and NTT Communications to roll out 5G and internet of things (IoT) technology in India.
- Under the agreement with Softbank, BSNL will look at collaborating with the NTT Communications for its satellite constellation to provide high speed internet services.
- BSNL has signed an agreement with Nokia and Cisco as well for developing 5G ecosystem.
Current Affair #13
Fitch raises India growth forecast
- Global research agency Fitch raised India’s growth forecast for the current fiscal to 7.8% from the earlier 7.4%.
- Fitch has revised the forecast for current fiscal ‘on the back of the better-than-expected 2018 outturn’.
- Fitch’s latest projection for the current fiscal is higher than what is estimated by the Reserve Bank of India (7.4%) and even the Government (7.5%).
Current Affair #14
Vietnam's President Tran Dai Quang passed away
- Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang died on 21 September, 2018.
- A career security officer and four-star general, Quang was elected president of Vietnam in April 2016.
- He was the second most powerful man in the country after General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong.
- He rose through the ranks at various positions at the Ministry of Public Security before being appointed the minister in 2011.
Current Affair #15
India won silver in Snooker Championship
- India won the silver medal in the final of the Asian Team Snooker Championship.
- India was defeated by Pakistan in final.
- The team India consisted of Pankaj Advani and Malkeet Singh.
- Pankaj Advani is a 19-time World Champion English billiards and snooker player from India.
- He was awarded Padma Bhushan in 2018.
Current Affair #16
India, Nepal agree to explore satellite images
- India and Nepal have agreed to explore the possibility of using high resolution satellite images in boundary survey work during a meeting of the Nepal-India boundary working group (BWG).
- The BWG is a joint body constituted by Nepal and India in 2014 to carry out works in the fields of construction, restoration and repair of boundary pillars, including clearance of no-man’s land.
Current Affair #17
Ibrahim Solih won Presidential Election
- Ibrahim Mohamed Solih won the Maldives’ presidential election on 24th September 2018.
- He defeated Maldives President Abdulla Yameen.
- Mr Solih entered the Parliament for the first time after defeating a ruling party candidate in 1994.
- He has been representing ‘Lhaviyani Atoll’ in the Maldivian Parliament.
Current Affair #18
Former BCCI president Biswanath passed away
- Former BCCI president Biswanath Dutt passed away on 24 September 2018.
- Dutt was the BCCI president in 1989 after a six-year stint as the vice-president of the parent body from 1982-88.
- Dutt began his career in cricket administration as Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) secretary in 1977 and became president in 1982, a post he held till 1986.
Current Affair #19
India's MIB in UN Global Media Compact
- India’s Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB) is among more than 30 organisations from across the world that have come together to form a global media compact.
- The SDG Media Compact is an initiative to advance awareness of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- The Compact is an initiative of the United Nations, in collaboration with the UN Foundation.
Current Affair #20
Japan’s rovers successfully land on asteroid
- Japanese space agency’s MINERVA-II1 (Micro-Nano Experimental Robot Vehicle for Asteroid, the second generation) is the world’s first rover to land on the surface of the asteroid Ryugu.
- The MINERVA-II1 consisted of two rovers, Rover-1A and Rover-1B.
- The rovers are designed to hop along the asteroid’s surface, taking photographs and gathering data.