Today Current Affairs-25 September 2018
Current Affair #01
Best performing states in Ease of Living Index
- Andhra Pradesh has topped among States in terms of “Ease of Living Index” rankings launched by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- The state is followed by Odisha and Madhya Pradesh.
- Ease of Living Index is a transformative initiative to help the cities assess their liveability vis-à-vis national and global benchmarks.
Current Affair #02
Jowai- Ratacherra section of NH 6 inaugurated
- Shri Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the rehabilitation and up-gradation of Jowai-Ratacherra (Meghalaya Assam border) section of the National Highway- 06 at Shillong.
- The 102 km road is very important for the development of industries as it passes through cement and coal belts of the Meghalaya.
- NH 6, is a national highway running from Jorabat in Meghalaya to Selling in Mizoram.
Current Affair #03
Luka Modric won FIFA Best player award
- Luka Modric won FIFA’s best male player award for 2018.
- Brazil and Orlando Pride forward Marta won the best female player award.
- Mohamed Salah’s curling, left-footed strike in an October 12, 2017 match against Everton won the Puskas Award for the best goal.
- Peru’s supporters won the Fifa Fan Award.
Current Affair #04
4th India International Science Festival
- The 4th edition of India International Science Festival will be inaugurated by President of India in Lucknow on October 6, 2018.
- Science & Technology Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan said that IISF 2018 is a tribute to former PM Late Sh. Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- IISF is the biggest platform to bring together students, researchers to celebrate India’s achievements in science and technology.
Current Affair #05
India, China to sign security agreement
- India and China will sign an internal security cooperation agreement during the visit of China’s Minister of Public Security in October 2018.
- The proposed pact is expected to cover areas of intelligence sharing, exchange programme, sharing of best practices, cooperation in disaster mitigation.
- This will be the first such agreement between India and China which look after internal security.
Current Affair #06
UAE to host Interfaith Alliance Forum
- The UAE will host the Interfaith Alliance Forum in Abu Dhabi on 19th and 20th Nov 2018.
- The forum aims to address and discuss social challenges and to strengthen efforts by religious leaders for protection of the young individuals from extortion and crime via the internet.
- The alliance also highlight the importance of unifying views among religions to ensure the protection of children.
Current Affair #07
Panel approves nutrition norms
- The National Technical Board on Nutrition has recommended that severely malnourished children must be fed freshly cooked food prepared from locally available cereals, pulses and vegetables.
- The measures are part of the community-based health management of children suffering from Severe Acute Malnutrition.
- The guidelines outline the role of Anganwadi workers and auxiliary nurse midwives.
Current Affair #08
Helpline for tobacco users
- India has become the first and only SAARC country to have a quit-line number on tobacco products.
- India is the fourth country in Asia after Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore to have this government helpline for those looking at quitting tobacco.
- The quit-line number will be printed on all tobacco products manufactured after September 1, 2018.
Current Affair #09
25th September is observed as Antyodaya Diwas
- 25th September is observed as Antyodaya Diwas every year to mark the birth anniversary of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya.
- During the Antyodaya Diwas each Swachhagrahi will be asked to create a team of his/her own Swachhagrahis.
- Each of these team will work on Open Defecation Free activities in their villages.
- 22 States and UTs have been declared Open Defecation Free so far.
Current Affair #10
Tariffs on non-essential imports finalised
- The government has finalised the list of non-essential items on which it will be imposing import tariffs.
- The list would include electronics, gems, select items of steel that are also manufactured in India, imported apples, and almonds, among others.
- The imposition of tariffs on the import of non-essential items is expected to help in stabilising the rupee’s level.
Current Affair #11
AMD-DAE sign MoU for exploration of uranium
- National Geophysical Research Institute signed a MoU with Atomic Minerals Directorate and Department of Atomic Energy for uranium exploration in India.
- The exploration will use high resolution heliborne geophysical imaging of earth’s shallow subsurface.
- NGRI and AMD-DAE will carry out heliborne surveys in Karnataka, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Odisha, Chhattisgarh, and Madhya Pradesh.
Current Affair #12
India won medals in Serbia Junior & Cadet Open
- In Table Tennis, India won the team titles in the girls and cadet boys category at the 2018 Serbia Junior and Cadet Open.
- India won gold in the Cadet Boys’ singles, Cadet Boys’ Team and Junior Girls’ Team events.
- India won the silver medal in the Cadet Boys and Girls’ team, the Cadet Boys’ Doubles and Girls’ Doubles categories.
- Payas Jain won the gold medal in Serbia Junior and Cadet Open
Current Affair #13
SC: Legislators can practice as lawyers
- The Supreme Court said that the legislators could not be banned from practising as lawyers in courts.
- The Supreme Court also said that no law debars the MPs, MLAs and MLCs from practising in court.
- At present, only the ministers and legislators holding other constitutional positions are barred from giving legal counsel to clients.
Current Affair #14
SC forms committee to look into jail reforms
- Supreme Court constituted a 3 member committee to look into the aspect of jail reforms across the country and suggest measures to deal with them.
- The committee is headed by the former judge Justice Amitava Roy.
- The committee will also look into the various issues concerning women prisoners.
- Supreme Court was hearing a matter relating to inhuman conditions in 1,382 jails across India.
Current Affair #15
Sinisuka and Carolina Won China Open
- Indonesia’s Anthony Sinisuka Ginting defeated Japan’s Kento Momota to win the Men’s singles China Open title.
- Spain’s Carolina Marin defeated China’s Chen Yufei to win the Women’s singles title.
- The men’s doubles title won by the Danish duo of Kim Astrup and Anders Skaarup, who defeated Chinese duo of Han Chengkai and Zhou Haodong.
Current Affair #16
'Gandhi March' in Netherlands
- India will organise ‘Gandhi March’ from the iconic Peace Palace at the Hague in the Netherlands.
- ‘Gandhi March’ will see the participation of people of all nations and around 20 ambassadors from different countries.
- Also, special commemorative stamps will be issued by the Indian postal department at the Peace Palace complex.
- October 2 is also marked as International Day of Non-Violence.
Current Affair #17
INS Kochi 'affiliated' to J&K Light Infantry
- INS Kochi was affiliated to the Jammu & Kashmir Light Infantry Regiment (JAK LI) on 24 September 2018.
- An ‘affiliation’ between units is aimed at the synergy, coordination and ‘jointness’ between the services to ensure better coordination.
- The affiliation between naval and army units is an ongoing process and this is the 31st affiliation of an Indian Naval unit.
Current Affair #18
Facebook India appoints Ajit Mohan as MD & VP
- Facebook has appointed Ajit Mohan as Managing Director and Vice-President for its Indian operations.
- Mr. Mohan, who was previously the CEO of video streaming platform Hotstar, will join Facebook early in 2019.
- The post was lying vacant since the exit of Umang Bedi last year.
- Mr. Mohan will be responsible for aligning teams and driving Facebook’s overall strategy in India.
Current Affair #19
Naval officer Commander Abhilash Tomy rescued
- Naval officer Commander Abhilash Tomy who is representing India in Golden Globe Race 2018 was rescued by French vessel Osiri.
- Tomy in his sailing vessel ‘Thuriya’, was dismasted and had suffered a back injury in extreme weather and sea condition in the Indian Ocean.
- The GGR is a race to sail around the globe. Tommy is the only Indian to circumnavigate the globe non-stop on INSV Mhadei.
Current Affair #20
HMR is the 2nd largest metro rail in India
- Hyderabad Metro Rail (HMR) has now become second largest metro rail network in India.
- It is also the world’s largest metro project under the public-private-partnership (PPP) model.
- The Hyderabad metro now has an operational network of 45 km.
- Delhi Metro Rail with an operational network of over 350kms is the largest metro rail network in India.