Today Current Affairs-26 September 2018
Current Affair #01
Dronacharya Awards for the year 2018
- The Dronacharya Award is a sports coaching honor of India. Following sportspersons were conferred with Dronacharya Awards for the year 2018:
- Subedar Chenanda Achaiah- Boxing
- Vijay Sharma- Weightlifting
- Srinivasa Rao- Table Tennis
- Sukhdev Singh- Athletics
- Clarence Lobo- Hockey (Life Time)
- Tarak Sinha- Cricket (Life Time)
- Jiwan Sharma- Judo (Life Time)
- V.R. Beedu- Athletics (Life Time)
Current Affair #02
Arjuna Awards for the year 2018
- The Arjuna Awards are given by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports to recognize outstanding achievement in sports. The award was presented to 20 peoples, some winners of Arjuna Awards 2018 are as follows-
- Neeraj Chopra- Athletics
- Hima Das- Athletics
- Smriti Mandhana- Cricket
- Manpreet Singh- Hockey
- Ankur Mittal- Shooting
- Shreyasi Singh- Shooting
- Manika Batra- Table Tennis
Current Affair #03
Procurement of 1000 engines for T-72 tanks
- The Defence Acquisition Council has approved procurement of 1,000 engines for fitment in T-72 tanks of the Army.
- The engines will enhance mobility, agility, and acceleration of T-72 tanks making them more effective in the battlefield.
- Most of these engines will be manufactured by Ordnance Factories Board.
- The DAC has also approved amendments to Defence Procurement Procedure 2016.
Current Affair #04
Air pollution control device inaugurated
- Environment Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan inaugurated air pollution control device ‘Wind Augmentation Purifying Unit’, (WAYU) in New Delhi.
- The device WAYU is developed by the Council of Science and Industrial Research to mitigate air pollution at traffic junctions.
- This device works on two principles mainly wind generation for dilution of air pollutants and active pollutants removal.
Current Affair #05
Indra Jatra festival in Kathmandu
- The famous Indra Jatra festival is being celebrated in Kathmandu in September with gaiety and religious fervor in Nepal.
- The 8-day long annual festival is observed to worship Indra, the lord of rain and good harvest.
- It also marks the end of monsoon and beginning of harvest season and festivity.
- Nepal’s living Goddess Trishna Shakya made her first public appearance in the festival.
Current Affair #06
Sharmila won gold in womens javelin's throw
- Sharmila Kumari clinched a gold medal at the 58th National Open athletics championships in the women’s javelin throw at Bhubaneshwar, Orissa.
- Sharmila threw a personal best throw of 54.81m to beat former Asian Games bronze medallist Annu Rani.
- Kumari improved on her previous personal best of 54.21m that she had registered at the National Inter-State Championships in Guwahati.
Current Affair #07
Naravane appointed as Eastern Army Commander
- Lt. Gen. M.M. Naravane has been appointed as the next Eastern Army Commander.
- Naravane is currently heading the Shimla-based Army Training Command (ARTRAC).
- Naravane will be the senior most officer in the army after the current army chief, General Bipin Rawat.
- Also, Air Marshal Anil Khosla who is currently the Eastern Air Force Commander has been appointed as the Vice Chief of IAF.
Current Affair #08
India-Morocco decide to boost defence ties
- India and Morocco inked two agreements providing for collaboration in cybersecurity and use of outer space.
- The two countries identified hydrography, peacekeeping as well as counter-terror cooperation as potential areas to deepen bilateral engagement.
- The two sides also agreed to cooperate in shipbuilding.
- Morroco Capital: Rabat; Currency: Moroccan Dirham.
Current Affair #09
$500 mn loan for climate resilient infra in TN
- Asian Development Bank will provide a $500 million loan to build climate resilient infrastructure in several cities of Tamil Nadu.
- Multi-tranche Financing Facility will develop climate-resilient water supply, sewerage, and drainage infrastructure in at least 10 cities.
- ADB said this funding will be in three tranches between Sept 2019 and March 2022.
Current Affair #10
Scheme for acid attack victims
- The Haryana govt approved financial assistance to women and girl acid attack victims scheme.
- Under this scheme, the survivors of the crime after 2 May 2011 will be eligible for the monthly pension.
- Either the victim herself or her legal guardian can apply to the district social welfare officer for relief.
- The financial assistance will be given on the basis of the percentage of disability.
Current Affair #11
5 IT firms shortlisted to implement RBI’s CIMS
- The RBI has shortlisted 5-IT firms for implementation of a Centralised Information and Management System for seamless data collection and validations.
- The 5 firms are- Capgemini Technology Services India, IBM India, Infosys, Larsen & Toubro Infotech and Tata Consultancy Services.
- The CIMS also include Centralised Analytics Platform to facilitate the creation of RBI Data Sciences Lab.
Current Affair #12
Microsoft, Adobe, SAP in data alliance
- Microsoft, Adobe Systems and SAP have formed an alliance to offer a unified view of data on their respective end-customers.
- The partners announced the Open Data Initiative at a Microsoft conference in Florida.
- The initiative will enhance interoperability and data exchange between their platforms like- Adobe Experience Cloud, Microsoft Dynamics 365 and SAP C/4HANA through a common mode.
Current Affair #13
Parakram Parv from 28-30 Sept
- The Indian Armed Forces will observe ‘Parakram Parv’ from September 28 – 30 to mark the second anniversary of the surgical strikes across the Line of Control.
- Stories of the recipients of the highest gallantry award, the Param Veer Chakra will also be highlighted during the Parv.
- 53 locations in 51 cities across the country will host events highlighting the valour of Indian Armed Forces.
Current Affair #14
"IND-Uzb: Dialogue of Cultures" inaugurated
- Secretary, Ministry of Culture, Shri Arun Goel inaugurated the exhibition “India – Uzbekistan: Dialogue of Cultures” in New Delhi.
- The Exhibition is dedicated to the visit of Uzbekistan President, Shavkat Mirziyoyev to India in October.
- This exhibition showcases original artifacts which include coins from the royal mints of Kushans including coins depicting portraits of Kanishka etc.
Current Affair #15
Finance Minister launches web portal
- The Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, Arun Jaitley launched a web portal as a transformative initiative in MSME credit space.
- The web portal www.psbloansin59minutes.com will enable in principle approval for MSME loans up to Rs. 1 crore within 59 minutes from SIDBI and 5 PSBs.
- The majority stake of is with SIDBI & 5 PSBs- SBI, Bank of Baroda, PNB, Vijaya and Indian Bank.
Current Affair #16
First assembly of ISA in India
- The inaugural General Assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) will take place in Delhi-NCR on 2 October.
- The Founding Conference of the ISA was jointly hosted by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron in March 2018.
- The ISA, formation of which was initiated by India and France, aims to bring all countries together for cooperation on solar energy.
Current Affair #17
2nd Ministerial Meeting of IORA in Delhi-NCR
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy will host 2nd Ministerial Meeting of Indian Ocean Rim Association from 2-4 October 2018 in Delhi NCR.
- The event will be held in parallel with the 1st General Assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) and the 2nd Global RE-INVEST Meet & Expo.
- IORA is a dynamic organisation of 21 Member States and 7 Dialogue Partners.
Current Affair #18
2nd REINVEST meet to be held in Delhi-NCR
- The 2nd Global Renewable Energy Investment Meeting and Expo, (REINVEST- 2018) will be held from 2-5 Oct 2018 in New Delhi.
- RE-INVEST is a global platform to explore strategies for development and deployment of renewables.
- The 2nd RE-INVEST will include a 3-day conference on renewables, clean tech and future energy choices, an expo of renewables-related manufacturers.
Current Affair #19
Smart City Expo India-2018 inagurated
- Vice president Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated Smart City Expo India-2018 in Jaipur.
- The object of this 3-day long expo is to discuss experts and groups to utilize the benefits of new technology, town planning, capacity management in the smart city sector.
- Near about 6000 delegates from MNC’s of different countries, researchers and CEO’s of different Smart cities, are participating in the expo.
Current Affair #20
Live streaming of court proceedings allowed
- The Supreme Court on 26 September 2018 agreed to live-streaming and video recording of court proceedings.
- The apex court said that necessary rules for balancing rights of public and protecting dignity of litigants will be placed soon.
- The verdict was passed on a batch of petitions filed by, law student Snehil Tripathi and NGO ‘Centre For Accountability and Systemic Change’ on the issue.