Current Affairs-16 September 2018
Current Affair #01
Cisco signed agreements with NITI, BSNL
- Cisco has signed two agreements with the NITI Aayog and Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) to speed up its Country Digital Acceleration programme in India.
- Cisco is a U.S.-based firm which makes networking telecommunications equipment.
- Cisco has made over 25 strategic investments in growth stage companies in India.
Current Affair #02
Infosys acquired Fluido to expand in Nordics
- Infosys, India’s second largest software exporter, has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Fluido.
- Fluido is a Salesforce advisor and consulting partner in Nordics and cloud consulting, implementation and training services company.
- Fluido has offices in Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Slovakia.
Current Affair #03
Bengal scheme to combat human trafficking
- The West Bengal government has launched a scheme, ‘Swayangsiddha’, in different districts of the State.
- The scheme will combat human trafficking.
- Swayangsiddha means self-reliance and will be executed by the West Bengal Police.
- The scheme aims to empower young boys and girls to make informed choices so that they are less vulnerable to trafficking and child marriage.
Current Affair #04
Welfare panels can’t evaluate dowry complaints
- The Supreme Court modified its July 2017 order to form a committee to sift genuine complaints of dowry harassment from the frivolous ones.
- On July 27 2017, the court had ordered ‘family welfare committees’ to be set up in the districts.
- Getting rid of these committees, the Supreme Court held that such panels had no place under the established criminal procedural law.
Current Affair #05
RBI to buy G-Secs in open market on Sept 19
- The Reserve Bank will purchase government securities (G-secs) worth Rs 10,000 crore on September 19, 2018.
- The move is aimed at inducing liquidity in the system.
- The purchase of the government securities will be done through Open Market Operations (OMO).
- The RBI proposes to purchase G-secs having five different maturity dates.
Current Affair #06
Govt. launches program on energy efficiency
- Ministry of Power launched an ambitious program to encourage the deployment of Energy Efficient chiller systems in the country.
- The Chiller Star Labelling Program has been formulated by Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE).
- The program envisages providing star rating in terms of its energy performance.
Current Affair #07
VRP & NSA-2016 ceremony on September 17, 2018
- Labour and Employment ministry will give away Vishwakarma Rashtriya Puraskar (VRP) and National Safety Awards (NSA) for the performance year 2016 on September 17, 2018.
- These Award schemes are operated by the Ministry’s Directorate General Factory Advice Service & Labour Institutes.
- The NSA is given in recognition of outstanding safety performance of industrial establishments.
Current Affair #08
Engineers Day observed on 15 September
- The Engineer’s Community across India celebrates Engineers Day on 15 September every year.
- M Visvesvaraya’s birthday is celebrated as Engineer’s Day, he was a world-renowned civil engineer.
- He received the Bharat Ratna in 1955.
- M Visvesvaraya installed an irrigation system with water floodgates at the Khadakvasla reservoir, Gwalior’s Tigra Dam and Mysuru’s Krishnaraja Sagara dam.
Current Affair #09
'Swachhata Hi Seva' movement on Sept 15
- The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, launched the ‘Swachhata Hi Seva’ movement on September 15, 2018.
- The ‘Swachhata Hi Seva movement’ aims at generating greater public participation towards Swachhta or cleanliness.
- It is being organized in the run-up to the fourth anniversary of the Swachh Bharat Mission, on October 2nd, 2018.
Current Affair #10
Government moves to stabilise rupee
- The government announced a set of five measures aimed at supporting the rupee.
- The government will take steps to reduce non-essential imports and increase exports.
- To push Indian corporates to take the masala bond route, the government has exempted all such bond issues until March 31, 2019, from withholding tax.
- The government will take steps to attract more Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPI) into the corporate debt market.
- The government will review the mandatory hedging condition for infrastructure loans borrowed under the external commercial borrowing (ECB) route.
- Manufacturing companies borrowing up to $50 million through ECBs will be able to do so only for a 1-year term.
Current Affair #11
'Swacch Dhara' started in Amaravati
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister, Chandrababu Naidu flagged off the ‘Swachh Dhara’ programme.
- The programme aims to provide clean drinking water across the state.
- As part of the scheme, tankers providing water across the state will be cleaned periodically through a six-layered cleaning process.
- The cleaning process involves the use of ultraviolet radiation to kill bacteria.
Current Affair #12
India’s 1st underwater robotic drone launched
- India’s first underwater robotic drone, ‘ Eyerovtuna’, was launched on 14th September 2018.
- It can send real-time videos of ships and other underwater structures to help with their repair and maintenance.
- It was handed over to the Naval Physical and Oceanographic Laboratory (NPOL) of DRDO.
- Eyerovtuna was developed by EyeROV Technologies which is a Kochi-based Startup.
Current Affair #13
India ranks 3rd in family-owned businesses
- India rank 3rd globally in terms of number of family-owned companies according to ‘Credit Suisse Family 1000 in 2018’ report.
- The rating agency analysed over 1,000 family-owned, publicly-listed companies, and compared their 10-year performance.
- India has a total of 111 companies with $839 bn total market capitalisation.
- India closely follows China (159 companies) and the US (121 companies).
Current Affair #14
Coast Guard commissions patrol vessel Vijaya
- Indian Coast Guard Ship ‘Vijaya’, the second in the series of 98 m offshore patrol vessels (OPVs), was commissioned in Chennai on 14 September 2018.
- The OPV is fitted with advanced technology navigation and communication equipment and sensors.
- On joining the Coast Guard fleet, the ship will be based at Paradip.
- The Ship will be deployed extensively for Exclusive Economic Zone surveillance.
Current Affair #15
India’s first dedicated park for dogs
- Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation set up first-ever exclusive ‘pet park’ at Hyderabad.
- It is reportedly the first park in India to be developed to match international standards for pets, and to be certified by the Kennel Club of India.
- The park has an exclusive play area for dogs, training and play equipment, an amphitheatre, a separate enclosure for small and big dogs.
Current Affair #16
NASA tests foldable heat shield
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) launched and tested a new umbrella-like heat shield.
- The new technology, ‘the Adaptable Deployable Entry Placement Technology (ADEPT)’, stores like a folded umbrella inside smaller rockets.
- The shape allows it to protect larger areas than current heat shields.
Current Affair #17
International Day of Democracy on 15 Sept
- International Day of Democracy is observed on 15 September across the world.
- The theme for 2018 is ‘Democracy under Strain: Solutions for a Changing World’.
- The United Nations General Assembly observed Democracy day for the first time in 2008.
- This day provides an opportunity to review the state of democracy in the world.
Current Affair #18
6 AAI-run airports bag international awards
- Six aerodromes of the Airports Authority of India (AAI) have bagged seven international awards.
- The Airport Service Quality (ASQ) Awards 2017 were presented by the Airports Council International (ACI) at the Customer Excellence Global Summit in Canada, on September 12 2018.
- The winning airports are Lucknow, Indore, Ahmedabad, Chennai, Kolkata and Pune airports.
Current Affair #19
2nd edition of 'Paryatan Parv' from Sept 16
- The tourism ministry would organise the 2nd edition of ‘Paryatan Parv’ from September 16 to September 27 2018.
- The event will be based on three main components – ‘Dekho aapna desh’ – encouraging domestic tourists to travel within India, ‘Tourism for all’ – promoting tourism across social classes, and ‘Tourism and governance’ – interactive sessions with stakeholders.