Current Affairs-20 September 2018
Current Affair #01
Vyas appointed Atomic Energy Commission chief
- Renowned scientist Kamlesh Nilkanth Vyas has been appointed the secretary of the Department of Atomic Energy and chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission.
- Vyas, who is at present Director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC).
- The Appointment Committee of the Cabinet has approved his appointment till he attains the age of 64 years.
Current Affair #02
Government & FAO launch green agri project
- The government of India and Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) has launched an agriculture project with US$33.5 million grant from the Global Environment Facility.
- The project seeks to bring change in the farm sector through the conservation of biodiversity and forest landscapes.
- The project will be implemented in Madhya Pradesh, Mizoram, Odisha, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand.
Current Affair #03
An independent Payments Regulatory Board
- An Inter-Ministerial Committee has rejected the view of the RBI and suggested setting up of an independent Payments Regulatory Board.
- The Committee, headed by Economic Affairs Secretary Subhash Chandra Garg, has prepared a draft for Payment and Settlement System Bill 2018.
- The members of the committee include IT Secretary Ajay Prakash, UIDAI CEO Ajay Bhushan, and RBI ED Ganesh Kumar.
Current Affair #04
DAC approved upgraded 'Akash' for army
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) accorded a procedural approval for the procurement of an improved variant of the indigenously developed Akash Surface to Air Missile (SAM) systems for the Army.
- The Army has already inducted two regiments of Akash.
- Akash was developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation as part of the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme.
Current Affair #05
Government modifies PMFBY norms
- Government modified operational guidelines of the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY).
- According to new norms crop insurance companies delaying claim payouts beyond two months from the prescribed will have to pay 12 per cent interest to farmers.
- The new operational guidelines come into force from the Rabi season, which commences on October 1.
Current Affair #06
Indo-Bangla friendship pipeline inaugurated
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Bangladesh’s Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina jointly inaugurated the construction of a friendship pipeline project.
- The 130-kilometre India-Bangladesh Friendship Pipeline Project will connect Siliguri in West Bengal in India and Parbatipur in Dinajpur district of Bangladesh.
- The pipeline will help fulfil the energy needs of Bangladesh at cheaper rates.
Current Affair #07
IPPB, Bajaj Allianz for insurance products
- India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) and Bajaj Allianz announced a five-year partnership to sell life insurance products on a revenue share basis.
- Under the partnership, IPPB will facilitate customers to pay for Bajaj Allianz life insurance products through their accounts and Bajaj Allianz Life will offer life insurance solutions.
- IPPB was launched on September 1, 2018.
Current Affair #08
SEBI approves KYC norms for FPIs
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) approved norms for settlement of cases and new KYC norms for Foreign Portfolio Investors.
- SEBI has approved a proposal to allow foreign investors to trade in commodity derivatives market, except for sensitive commodities.
- SEBI chairman also said that the mutual fund expenses will be brought down considering economies of scale.
Current Affair #09
India signs loan pact with WB for Uttarakhand
- India has signed a financing loan agreement with the World Bank for US$74 million for Uttarakhand Workforce Development Project (UKWDP).
- The project objective is to improve the quality and relevance of training at priority Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs).
- Another aim is to increase the number of skilled workers certified under the National Skills Qualification Framework.
Current Affair #10
INSV Tarini received Tenzing Norgay Award
- The all-women crew of INSV Tarini has bagged the prestigious Tenzing Norgay National Adventure award.
- The award is the highest national recognition for outstanding achievements in the field of adventure on land, sea and air.
- The INSV Tarini crew was also bestowed with Nav Sena Medal on the occasion of 72nd Independence Day.
Current Affair #11
Cyclone-30 became operational at Kolkata
- Medical Cyclotron Facility ,’Cyclone-30′ became operational at Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre (VECC) in Kolkata.
- Cyclotrons are used to produce radioisotopes for diagnostic and therapeutic use for cancer care.
- This facility will provide for affordable radioisotopes and related radiopharmaceuticals used for breast cancer diagnosis and prostate cancer treatment, respectively.
Current Affair #12
Hangzhou to host 2022 Asian Para Games
- Asian Paralympic Committee (APC) confirmed that Hangzhou in China will host the fourth edition of the Asian Para Games in 2022.
- Hangzhou will now be represented at the Closing Ceremony of this year’s Asian Para Games, which will begin in the Indonesian capital Jakarta on October 6.
- Beijing will also host the Winter Olympics in 2022.
Current Affair #13
Govt launched ‘e-Sahaj’ portal
- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) launched an online ‘e-Sahaj’ portal for grant of Security Clearance.
- The portal will facilitate an applicant to submit the application online and also to view the status of his application from time to time.
- MHA is the nodal Ministry for security clearances before the issue of license/permit, permission, contract etc, to companies/ bidders/individuals.
Current Affair #14
A child under 15 dies every 5 seconds: UN
- According to the new mortality estimates released by UNICEF, the World Health Organization, the United Nations Population Division and the World Bank Group, an estimated 6.3 million children under 15 years of age died in 2017.
- The report notes that for children everywhere, the riskiest period of life is the first month.
- Most children under 5 die due to preventable or treatable causes.
Current Affair #15
HRD Minister present Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar
- The Union Minister HRD minister conferred the Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar 2017-18 at Dr. Ambedkar International Centre in New Delhi.
- The SVP honours the schools that have done exemplary work in the field of water, sanitation and hygiene.
- The awardee schools got a Certificate of Recognition along with an additional school grant of Rs. 50,000/- through digital payment.
Current Affair #16
All India Pension Adalat inaugurated
- The Union Minister, Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated the ‘Pension Adalat’, organised by the Department of Pension & Pensioners, Government of India.
- Dr Jitendra said that Pension Adalats will help in on-the-spot redressal of pensioners’ grievances.
- He also presented the ‘Anubhav’ awards 2018 to six pensioners for their contribution towards creating institutional memory for the departments.
Current Affair #17
Ind-Germany pact to boost vocational education
- India and Germany signed a memorandum of agreement (MoA) to focus on the field of dual vocational education and training and skill development.
- Under the MoA, students who complete specific training courses in India will get a certificate that is recognised in India and in Germany.
- These students can apply for jobs in India and also in Germany.
Current Affair #18
Document on cooling action plan by India
- Union Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan released world’s first draft on Cooling Action Plan.
- The plan gives thrust to actions for securing both environmental and socio-economic benefits.
- The plan lists out actions which can help reduce the cooling demand, thus helping in reducing emissions.
- On the event Union minister also released a booklet on ‘Montreal Protocol – India’s Success Story’.
Current Affair #19
N. Korea sign agreement on denuclearisation
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon Jae-in signed an agreement on the denuclearization.
- Kim stated that the regime is willing to demolish the country’s largest nuclear facility in Yongbyon if the US takes corresponding measures.
- Mr. Kim also pledged to visit Seoul, the first visit by a North Korean leader to the South since the Korean War.
Current Affair #20
Indian Films Won an award at TFF
- Vasan Bala’s superhero movie, Mard ko Dard Nahin Hota has won the Toronto film festival’s prestigious Grolsch People’s Choice Midnight Madness Award.
- The film pays tribute to action comedies of the 70s and 80s and tells the story of a young man born with a disorder that makes him immune to pain.
- This is the first ever Indian film to be screened in the Toronto festival’s Midnight Madness.